Family Violence & Intervention Orders

Home / Areas of Practice / Family Violence & Intervention Orders

Intervention Orders Melbourne

Family Violence is one of the most sensitive and delicate aspects of the law.

Disputes in relation to family violence orders (also know as ‘intervention orders’, ‘apprehended violence orders’, ‘IVOs’ or ‘AVO’s’) can be overwhelming, traumatic, and confusing for everybody involved.

They are particularly difficult when children are involved. They can also be incredibly complex and confusing when it comes to the interaction between proceedings in the state court jurisdiction (under the Family Violence Protection Act (Vic) 2008) and the family court jurisdiction (under the Family Law Act (Cth) 1975).

At Testart Family Lawyers, we aim to be, above all else, sensitive to our clients concerns. We are there to help them understand all areas of law in relation to family violence and to be understanding of all of their needs. Our aim is to ensure that our clients can move forward in their new lives, safely and securely, when their relationship runs into trouble.

Intervention Order Melbourne

Our family violence and intervention order process

We know that family violence is an incredibly traumatic and difficult thing to go through and we’re here to help.

Whether your family violence dispute is about an intervention order or other areas of family law, we can help you find the best way forward. We always act with empathy and care, using our expertise and experience to help you achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.

  • Our first meeting is free. We’ll sit down and get to know you, understand your situation and talk about the outcomes you’d like to achieve.
  • Next we’ll prepare a legal summary of your position. We’ll explain exactly how the law applies to you and suggest the best path of action.
  • Once you decide to engage our services, we’ll carry out our plan, provide honest legal advice and help you reach a resolution.

We prioritise your wellbeing so we’ll work to resolve an outcome outside of court by providing sound legal advice and working with our expert mediators. In the event that you do need to attend family law court, we’ll draw on decades of courtroom experience to give you the best possible chance of achieving a good outcome.

The benefits of hiring a lawyer to help

Disputes around family violence orders or ‘intervention orders’ are stressful and confusing, especially when children are involved.

A lawyer with experience and expertise in these matters can make the process easier in many ways. Most importantly, we can help ensure that you understand how all relevant law applies to you, lay out the best course of action and help you navigate the system to achieve a positive outcome.

After decades working in this area of the law, we know how difficult and traumatic dealing with family violence orders can be. But we also know that getting good advice and legal support can make the entire process easier and less stressful for all involved. Ultimately, that’s our goal – to use our experience and expertise to help you navigate a difficult time and protect your best interests.

From our first call to resolution of your issue, we’ll take care of you.

How can we help you?

FAQs: Family Violence & Intervention Orders

What should I do if I’ve been a victim of family violence?

If you’ve been a victim of family violence the first step is to make sure that you and your family are safe. Then, you should remove yourself from the situation. Call the police if you are in immediate danger and find support as soon as possible.

Once you’re safe and have found support the next step may be to file an intervention order. Speak to a lawyer specialising in domestic violence for advice.

What is an intervention order?

An intervention order is a court order which prohibits a person (the defendant) from behaving in a certain manner towards another. The purpose of an intervention order is to protect a person who it is believed the defendant may commit an act of abuse against.

While an intervention order is under civil law, criminal charges may follow if the order is broken.

Do I need a family violence lawyer to apply for an intervention order?

No, you can apply for an intervention order after hours at any police station or during court hours at your local magistrate’s court or children’s court. However, due to the complexities of the process and the court system it’s recommended to seek legal advice from an intervention order lawyer before applying.