The last thing any mother or father wants is for their ex-husband or wife to take their child overseas so that they never see them again. It’s a parent’s worst nightmare.

The question I am often asked is, ‘can I stop my husband or wife from taking my children overseas? The answer is ‘yes, under certain circumstances, you can.’

It is possible to apply to the Family Court for an ‘airport watch list order.’ What this does essentially is puts your child’s name on an airport watch list. If anybody then attempts to take your child out of the Commonwealth of Australia, then the Federal Police at the airport will be notified and they will prevent the person from taking the flight.

It is important to get the application for an airport watch list right, however. At Testart Family Lawyers, we have specific experience in making successful airport watch list applications. So if you are concerned about child abduction, or that somebody will take your child out of Australia, call us to make an urgent application on your behalf. At Testart Family Lawyers, we understand that nothing is more important than the safety of your children.